Sunday 30 November 2014

Review of the day

It was difficult not to feel just a little bit aggrieved, when King of the Picts was brought down by Zaidpour in the Hatton’s Grace hurdle, this afternoon…

I’m in my third season running this service and I’ve lost count of the number of times that kind of misfortune has struck us (The New One and Attaglance on the first day at Cheltenham, immediately spring to mind !) – and yet I can only recall fate helping us out once in all that time (when Jumps Road benefited from rivals mis-haps at Newbury).

Ofcourse, we all know that these things even themselves out the in the long run – but I already feel I’m going to have to be running a service for quite few years if I’m going to get the good fortune required to even things out !

Ofcourse, the incident happened too early in the race to be adamant about anything.
But King of the Picts was still travelling very nicely – and the way events unfolded, with Little King Robin folding quite tamely, and Jetson not really getting home, I think there is reason to believe that he would have gone very close today – despite his price.

Such is life I guess…

There were no hard luck stories for the other tip on the day - Painted Lady was simply beaten by 3 superior animals.
She travelled really well through the race – and once again, jumped beautifully, but I think she was starting to feel the pinch when she made a slight mistake at the fourth last, and that was that…

She finished well clear of the fifth horse home – and I guess might be slightly better for todays run.
I would certainly be happy to give her another chance - if the right race came along…

Elsewhere on the Fairyhouse card, Nichols Canyon took advantage of stablemate Allez Collombiers misfortune, to take the Royal Bond novice hurdle.
Tandem was a big disappointment in the race – travelling nicely but finding nothing when put under pressure.

In the Drinmore novice chase Blacklough ran a highly creditable race to finish sixth.
He doesn’t posses the class of either of the first two home (Valseur Lido and Apache Stronghold), but if he is given a chase rating similar to his hurdle rating (136), I think he can do some damage.
It was also nice (in a bit of a ‘sad’ kind of a way !) to see him finish just in front of Cause of Causes, as I’d used that one as my benchmark when assessing his chances.

Finally at Fairyhouse, my short list of 3, managed to grab first, third and fifth in the staying chase.
However, it was favourite Embracing Change who managed to just get up in the shadows of the post – with Jupitor (my main fancy for the race) only fifth.
Vasco de Mee ran another huge race to finish third, just a week after his run in the Troytown. He is clearly a horse with an iron constitution…

At Leicester, Stella Notion was the only successful mention of the day.
He was a comfortable winner under a very sensible ride from Paddy Brennan..
Brennan clearly knew he was on the best horse in the race and simply went out and made all.

He followed up that win, with an equally comfortable success on The Ould Lad.
Midnight Cataria was a bit disappointing in the race, not running as well as she had done on her previous outing at Worcester.

John Louis bumped into one in the handicap hurdle – but it wasn’t the ex-French trained Batavir, it was the more exposed Rock on Rocky.
It was a good performance from the winner, who is clearly a fast progressing horse.

Finally at Leicester, no money came for Lord Fox – and he ran the kind of race you would expect, as a consequence...
In truth, he’s going to be a nearly impossible horse to tip, because we will always be a step behind connections.
I bet he wins a race before the season is out though (and is well backed to do so !).

Rockawango was very poor in the opener at Carlisle, looking a shadow of the horse we were on a fortnight ago.
Instead the race went to an old friend, Indian Voyage. He won for us last season off a mark almost 30lb lower than today.
He is clearly another who is progressing fast.

Ifandbutwhynot was no match for Yorkist in the novice chase: whilst Alpha Victor was also disappointing in the stayers chase.
A tilt at the Welsh National looks a bit of pipe dream for him, based on todays performance…

So that was it for the day – and indeed the month.
What a roller-coaster it has been !

The racing tomorrow looks very poor – and it might not be much better on Tuesday.
I’ll confirm in the morning, but will probably take the day off – and use it instead to work on the monthly report.

I know we’ve finished the month slightly down – which is disappointing – but I want to try and get a better feel for why that was.

I also want to get this years survey out to you all at some point in the next few days – so even if I’m not tipping, I won’t be sat around twiddling my thumbs !!

No rest for the wicked, hey…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment