Friday 7 November 2014

Review of the day

So the run of winning days comes to an end, as Herecomesthehollow was only able to finish a very distant runner-up, behind easy winner, Smart Exit.

In truth, the chances of him even finishing second looked miniscule, as the runners left the back straight.
At that point, he was a long way adrift of the leaders and under severe pressure.

However, to the horse’s eternal credit, he plugged on up the straight – and briefly, for just a few moments approaching the second last, it looked as if he might even be able to upstage Doctor Ric ! (he actually traded at 3.1 in-running, at that point)

But it was not to be; the leader was not stopping – and a battling second was the best he could achieve.

As I said this morning, he was a speculative pick, because he was impossible to assess properly.
I felt he would be much better suited to todays conditions than he was to those he faced last time out - and I was right on that point. It just impossible to know that he needs an extreme test of stamina – and that is clearly the case (and unfortunately, everyone else will now know as well !).

Still, these things happen – and I think he was worth a risk…

I’m actually a little irritated that today was a losing day at all…
As hopefully most of you picked up, I was very keen on The Ould Lad at Warwick.
It was only the price that was putting me off (that it was too short – not that it didn’t represent value).
My issue was that it was impossible to get a proper handle on his rivals. I would have taken a risk on them not being up to the job at a bigger price – but at 11/4, I like to feel pretty confident about what I’m getting.
As it turned out, non of them were able to cope with The Ould Lad, and Paddy Brennans day out in Warwick was well rewarded.

More positively, it was nice to see a Top Pick going in.
I’m absolutely committed to trying to make the Top Picks profitable this season – so it has been a little disappointing to see the first two beaten.
At least the victory for The Ould Lad moves them into the positive…

Amazingly (given their performance over the past coupes of days), the mentions are still in the positive as well – but the three I put up today, never threatened to help improve that situation.

Very little indeed could be taken from the performances of either Truckers Steel or Tribulation.
Paskalis showed a little more – and travelled nicely to the home straight.
He could be worth keeping an eye on – but more as a future handicap winner than a potential novice hurdle star.

There are 4 meetings scheduled to take place tomorrow and I was fully expecting a busy day. However looking through the declarations, it seems to be a case of quantity over quality.
I’ll have a proper look this evening, but there is a chance I’ll let the day pass by.

I’ll advise either way, at the usual time in the morning.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment