Monday 17 November 2014

Review of the day

I often talk about fine lines in this game – and I think we got on the right side of one this afternoon…

Now don’t get me wrong, I always wanted to tip Howards Legacy - but after I was unable to do so first thing (due to the favourite being withdrawn), we were left in the lap of the gods (or more accurately the follow punters !).

I had to hope that no-one else latched on to him the next 3 hours, thereby meaning that he would still be tip-able at 11:30 – and fortunately no one did…

I might have risked a price of 6/1 – but anything lower than that and I would have passed on the race.

Instead, I would possibly have switched to Red Devil Lads - if his price had drifted sufficiently.
He was 12/1 early, which made him a very close call – but his price was contracting at 11:30 and so I opted not to side with him.

It’s funny: I had a similar call to make last Thursday.
That day, I switched from Stags Leap to Armedandbeutiful.
As I said, fine lines…

In terms of performances then Howard’s Legacy won very well – as I hoped he might.
Although he ultimately could only finish third, Knock a Hand was the only real danger of the last half mile of the race.
I think I read the race quite well…

I don’t think I read Red Devil Lads too badly either.
Very strong in the betting (into 5/1 at the off), he travelled nicely until tiring at he third last.
He looked likely to finish tailed off at that point – but then ran on again to take third place.
The talent is definitely there – the question is whether Rebecca Curtis will be able to harness it…

Perfect Candidate hacked up in the opening race on the card, having been backed into 11/8 (from 4/1 early).
He didn’t look like the same horse that had performed so poorly last time – and whilst I don’t think the race took much winning, the stewards should really have asked some questions.
As I said this morning, somebody knew he’d got a fair bit of ability…

With hindsight, I’m a bit irritated that I didn’t spend longer on the handicap hurdle at 3:00.
I felt Kentucky Hyden was vulnerable - and the weakness in El Macca spoke volumes…
With Clondaw Kaempfer always likely to need the run, the race was ripe for the taking.
My preference for was Flicka Williams – and he ran well enough, considering he made a very bad mistake early in the race.
I also had half an eye on Foxclub – and I think he ended up winning the race by default, under a very good ride from Felix De Giles.
Like I say, it was maybe an opportunity missed – but ultimately, there are only so many hours in a day…

Things didn’t follow the script quite so well at Exeter…

Ivy Gate ran OK – and I’ve no doubt he’ll pop up at some time – but I’m not sure I’m up to the job of second guessing Jonjo and figuring out when…

Harrys Farewell was a disappointing in the novice handicap chase – looking as if he badly needed the outing (and possibly the experience).
Moorlands Mist ran quite nicely in the same race however, and is now back on my radar…

Finally, Baby King took a tired looking fall at the last in the 2:40 race.
He was in second place at the time – but was weakening.
I don’t suppose Paddy Brennan was too happy about that – though a nice victory in the previous race would have helped justify his decision to ride at Exeter, rather than partner Perfect Candidate at Bangor.

All in all then, not a bad day...
I do feel as if I missed one or two opportunities – but I’ve got to be realistic, I simply haven’t got time to cover everything (and then write it up !)
We got a winner, which was nice – and that keeps the P&L moving in the right direction.
Perfection will just have to wait a few more weeks 


TVB

No comments:

Post a Comment