Saturday 1 November 2014

Review of the day

It’s always a relief to get the first day of a new season under your belt - particularly if it goes OK – and I think it’s fair to say that today went OK…

Ofcourse, at around 2:30 this afternoon, I thought we might really start the season with a bang – but I’m happy enough with a pop…

That ‘pop’ was provided by Ulck De Lin in the 2 mile chase at Ascot.
I had a feeling that Paul Nicholls would have him tuned up for today – and so it proved.
And it was just as well he did – as the horse was too free – and his jumping far from foot perfect.
Fortunately, he had a smart young jockey on his back – who was cool enough to adjust his planned tactics and let the horse run the race it wanted to (within reason).
The nett result was a hard fought victory.

At surface value, you would be inclined to follow Ulck next time – but I doubt he’ll come much on for the run –and he’ll be higher in the handicap.

Another jockey to ride a screamer at Ascot, was Nick Skelton.
It’s not often you see a big handicap stolen – but I think that’s what he did.
Waiting in front and then quickening on the approach to the home turn.
It was a fine piece of jockeyship – and not the first time I’ve seen him win a race that maybe he shouldn’t have…
With regard to the 2 tips in the race; then Ardkilly Witness got caught out when the pace quickened: whilst Gevrey Chambertin again ran no sort of a race.
I would be prepared to give Ardkilly another chance once the ground softens up – but I expect to see Gevrey put back over hurdles…

The third tip of the day to run, was City of Dural at Down Royal.
As with last time, he was held up out the back – and when he started to close approaching the fourth last, my hopes were briefly raised.
However, unfortunately, he was just not good enough to go through with his effort. I have a suspicion that the softer ground didn’t help him – but to be honest, he was always likely to be just a one-off shot today.

The final tip to run was Earls Quarter.
I had picked up on the form line involving him and Secrete Stream – and I was right to do so.
Both horses moved through the race with menace – but unfortunately for us, it was Secrete who found the finishing kick when it mattered.
Earls Quarter actually looked to run out of stamina close home – but he would remain of interest next time out, provided he was dropped back to 2 miles (and there was likely to be pace in the race).

The mentions looked like having a day to forget, as the first 5 of them were soundly beaten – but then things changed…

Don Cossack dotted up at Down Royal (as I thought he might – shame about the price !) and that was swiftly followed by Menorah taking the feature Charlie Hall chase at Wetherby.
In running, I was massively impressed by the slick jumping of Silviniaco Conti – but clearly something wasn’t right with the horse as he just didn’t finish his race.

However, the mentions saved their best until the very last, as Wilberdragon sluiced home in the Ascot finale – at the princely price of 16/1

Now why didn’t I call him up to the first team..?!

Ah well, there’s always tomorrow…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment