Sunday 15 March 2015

Review of the day

There was no joy this afternoon, as a poor call and no good fortune, resulted in a win-less day…

I had a feeling that was how it might turn out, as I watched Windsor Park take the opener under an inspired ride from Davy Russell.

As I said this morning (and indeed straight after he ran in the Deloitte), I did quite fancy him. However, I felt there was little margin in a price of 5/1, when jockeyship was likely to play a huge part in the outcome.

Well, when the chips are down, there are few better men to have on your side than Davy, and he rode a canny race from the front, controlling things before kicking on rounding the home turn.

The first tip of the day to run, was Southfield Theatre – and he ran a blinder…
He was just unlucky to bump into an exceptional talent in the shape of Don Poli.
In fairness, a shuddering mistake at he fourth last, didn’t help Southfield Theatres chance - but I have a feeling that Don Poli would have beaten him regardless…

Next up it was Dell ‘Arca and Taglietelle.
The former was in a nice position when taking a heavy fall at the third hurdle (and reminding me why I tend not to put up many horses EW !).

Taglietelle was give a very patient ride by Paul Carberry – and I did think briefly rounding the home turn, that he was going to get there.
However, when you ride a horse so far off the pace, you really need the leaders to stop a bit – and they didn’t.
He ran on for an honourable fourth – but that wasn’t much good as I’d put him up win only.

I have to say, that I felt very disappointed at the end of the Champion chase (I had a feeling this morning that I might do !)
Neither Sprinter Sacre, or Sire De Grugy (or Simply Ned !) performed, leaving Dodging Bullets to claim the title of Champion chaser.
I think it says everything for the form that Somersby was such a close second – and Special Tiara, third.
As non-contests go, next seasons likely clash between Un De Sceaux and Dodging Bullets will take some beating !

Paul Nichols managed to get 3 winner on the afternoon – so it was somewhat ironic that we were on two losers trained by him !
Following on from Southfield Theatre, Sire Collognes ran nowhere near as well, to finish fifth in the cross country chase.

I felt this morning that the race was ripe for a shock – and even managed to pick out the horse who provided it, in Rivage D’Or.
However, even with my creativity, I just couldn’t make a case for him.

I suspect he won by default – and it would be no surprise if this proved to be the high light of his career…

The final two races were non events, from a TVB perspective.

Thunder Zone was ridden like a horse with no intention of winning, in the Fred Winter.
Kept wide throughout, his jumping was still quite poor and he was beaten long before the home turn.

Bellshill didn’t do much better in the bumper.
He started off in midfield and slowly worked his way back through the field until he had no chance turning in.

Interestingly, the first 4 home in the bumper were all UK trained – which I think is exactly what I predicted (sic !).

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better.

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment