Sunday 22 March 2015

Daily write-up - Mar 17th

There are 4 NH meetings today, at Exeter, Wetherby, Down Royal and Wexford – but it’s a real case of quantity over quality.

Unlike yesterday, there was never much chance of me putting up a tip today – and even a conventional ‘mention’, wasn’t that easy to find.

I guess the closest to a tip, was probably at Exeter in the 3:20 race where I could have been very interested in Judge Davis.
He disappointed last time out, but prior to that had run very well in a couple of decent contests.
If he bounces back to form today after a break, I would expect him to go close – but I’ll be a little surprised in he can cope with Jay Are.
He was a hugely impressive winner on his handicap debut just over a week ago – and gets to run today under a 7lb penalty.
He will likely go up much more than that when the official handicapper has his say, so provided that run hasn’t left its mark, I would expect him to go in again this afternoon.

In the 4:30 race, Midnight Requests looks the most likely winner - but 3/1 is not a price that holds any appeal.
In fact I would be more inclined to take a risk on the first time blinkered Matrows Lady at 10/1 – though based on her performances this season, it would be quite a risk !

Over at Wetherby, one of my favourite horses, Luddsdenene, has its first run for one of my favourite trainers, Alex Dunne.
I do hope that Alex realises what she has acquired - and isn’t judging the old boy purely on his seemingly promising run last time out, behind Astre de La Cour.
He looked a winner waiting to happen at Stratford last Monday, but I suspect it won’t be quite that simple.
He’s always been a horse with tremendous natural ability (far more than you would expect from a 115 rated animal) - but he has breathing issues and therefore tends to stop, when asked for an effort.
I’ve no doubt he will cruise around Wetherby this afternoon, as normal – but when push comes to shove, I won’t be expecting him to turn on the after-burners !

The other horse that catches my eye at Wetherby, is Teddys Reflection in the 5:15 race.
He is having his first run under rules for Harriet Bethell and has been put in the 16/1 outsider of the field.
That may well prove to be right – but he has a tremendous record fresh – and is definitely handicapped to go close.
He’s certainly worth keeping an eye on.


Over at Wexford, there is another old favourite running in the veterans chase at 5:00…
Cootmundra was my ‘cliff’ horse a couple of seasons back – prior to him wining the Troytown, last season.
He’s 12 now – and he needs more of a test that todays 2m3f.
It’s also a bit strange seeing Ruby Walsh on his back instead of regular pilot, Robbie Moran.
I’ve no idea what’s going on there - unless Ruby has asked for the leg up on a living legend, before he is finally put out to grass 
Rubi Light is a worthy favourite for the race – and should take the beating.
However, I could also be interested in Orpheus Valley, who should have no issue with conditions and doesn’t deserve to be the 25/1 outsider of the field.

In the conditions hurdle at 3:50, Tidy Zag is the same price - but again, I think that understates his chance.
There is possibility that he won’t run his race (he’s a very fragile horse) – but if he does, he has the ability to go much closer than those odds imply.

Finally, at Down Royal, just the one horse worthy of a mention.
Yes Tom did us a big favour when winning at Ayr, last month – and I could see him following up today.
The trouble is, it’s a 3 horse race, so you’re never going to get a price.

I’ll be cheering him on tho – along with all the other old favourites that are running this afternoon !


Good luck if you do decide to get involved.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment