Sunday 15 March 2015

Daily write-up - Mar 5th

There are NH meetings at Carlisle and Clonmel…

After due consideration, I’ve decided that today is best left as a day of mentions.
There are a few possible opportunities – but non grab me quite enough to persuade me to pull the trigger.

It probably doesn’t help that I’ve got half my mind on next week – but in the circumstances, I think discretion is the best way forward…

The closest I got to a tip was Our Boy Ben, who runs in the novice handicap chase at Carlisle, due off at 2:35.
My issue with him is that he’s quite speculative – and whilst 10/1 is a reasonable price, I don’t think it’s anything more than that.
He certainly has a lot to prove, on his first outing over fences – though I suspect he might just be up to the job.
12/1 or 14/1 would have tempted me in – but only a few of you would likely get the 10/1 – and I certainly wouldn’t entertain him at lower than 8/1.

In the opener on the Carlisle card, keep an eye on Surprise Vendor.
He is plummeting down the handicap and I could easily see him bouncing back to form at some point.
Whether that’s today, is anyones guess – but he’s 20/1 in a weak looking race, so there will be worse bets.

In a similar vein, I’m a bit surprised that Cathedral is as big as 14/1 in the handicap hurdle at 4:15.
I can see that he’s got a couple of in form rivals to beat – but he’s not without potential himself.
A bit like Surprise Vendor, victory for him wouldn’t be the biggest shock in the world.

Over at Clonmel, it’s interesting that Barry Geraghty appears on track for just the one ride.
Itsnothingpersonal would look quite interesting in the opener, without him in the saddle – with him on board, the 9/2 with VC is tempting.

In the following race, Run Hurricane gets his first outing over hurdles after a number of eye catching bumper runs.
I suspect that he’ll need a trip beyond 2 miles to be seen at his best, but I’ll still be keeping a very close eye on him this afternoon.

In the 3:35 Good as Gold will likely try to make all – and might just pull it off.
She’s been running well in better races than todays – though isn’t a mare you could trust implicitly.
The ability is there to win a race like this – but a price of 4/1 isn’t sufficiently big to warrant getting involved.

Finally, as with Barry Geraghty, Davy Russell has just one ride on the Clonmel card – Pops Well in the handicap hurdle at 4:05.
She’s been quite well backed on a few of her recent runs – and I suspect she will be again today.
Davy might even be able to get her home in front, this time !


Good luck if you do choose to get involved this afternoon.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment