Sunday 15 February 2015

Review of the day

What a bizarre day !

I issue possibly my worst set of tips ever – and we come out of the day with a profit (just about).
I’m almost embarrassed to take it !

In terms of the detail:
Then whilst you were all far too polite to tell me how poor a tip Arctic Ben was – the market had no hesitation in letting me know !

I thought 12/1 was a price worth a risk – well, if we had hung on a few hours, we could have got nearly 3 times that on Betfair.
Impressive !

In my defence, Arctic Ben was clearly taking on a couple of exceptionally well handicapped rivals, in the shape of Canuspotit and Gone to Far.
They were backed to the exception of everything else (particularly Arctic Ben) and completely dominated the race.

I don’t think Arctic Ben would have stood a chance even if he had got to the front and had an uncontested lead.
Simply, he was outclassed…

It was the same story with Nozic.
I was actually more disappointed with him (I know Arctic Ben was very risky).
Maybe he didn’t appreciate the rain softened ground (though I thought he would) – but either way, he was totally outclassed by his rivals.

I knew that he might not be good enough to win – but I still unexpected him to run much better than he did.
He was disappointing.

So it was left to Ivy Gate to save the day – and some how, he did so…
I really struggled to issue him this morning (if anyone has any suggestions on how I should have played it, feel free to let me know !).

I missed the 16/1 early – and I expect that most of you missed the 12/1 late.
However, I never expected him to be backed down to 3/1 (even with a hefty R4).

Yet it all appeared immaterial, as he struggled in fifth place, jumping the second last hurdle.
However, he started to pick up – and whilst I honestly thought the best he could manage would be a close second, he somehow found stamina reserves as the leader faltered and he got up in the shadows of the post.

If we’d been on the second, I would have been gutted (and we’ve been there a few times in the past !).
But today, amazingly, we were on the winner !
A rare situation indeed.

As for the mentions: them I’m mystified as to why Mr Lando was sent a few hundred miles never to be put in a race.
Whilst over at Sandown, Avidity ran poorly, considering the market support; but No Duffer, confirmed that we had indeed been very unlucky not to win on him at Doncaster last time.

Maybe this luck malarkey does even itself !!

Just a reminder that as it’s a Friday I will open the tipping window at 6:00 this evening in case there is anything I can tip in tomorrows televised races.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment