Sunday 15 February 2015

Daily write-up - Feb 15th

There are 3 NH meetings today: at Market Rasen, Ffos Las and Navan – but it’s pretty uninspiring stuff…

If it’s going to be like this until Cheltenham, I fear we are in for a long 3 weeks !

The best racing of the day is at Navan, in Ireland – but there are few betting opportunities.

In the handicap hurdle at 2:50, I briefly considered taking a chance on Dom Lukka.
He caught my eye last time out and should benefit from stepping back in trip today.
However the presence of the Tony Martin trained I Shot the Sherrif and the decent chaser, Groody Hill (who’s running off a much lower hurdle rating), temper enthusiasm…

The best race of the day is the Ten Up novice chase at 3:55.
Unfortunately it’s a bit of a pin job as there seems little to separate the 5 main contenders.
If forced to opt for one, it would be Apache Jack.
He seems to be improving for fences and having Barry Geraghty on top, won’t harm his chances…

Gilgamboa is the most exciting horse running today – and he should take the preceding Flying Bolt novice chase on his way to a tilt at the JLT race at Cheltenham.
He’ll be no kind of a price today - though he should be good to watch !


There’s little to get excited about at Market Rasen, either…

I would expect Our Kaempfer to take the opener for Charlie Longsdon – though I don’t suppose he’ll be much of a price.
I’ll be keeping a close eye on Steps and Stars. He ran a nice race last time – but will probably be working on his handicap mark today…

The best race on the card is the handicap hurdle at 2:40.
I suspect it will go to top weight and favourite, Kashmir Peak – though I could be half interested in Ultimate.
He is very well handicapped on his hurdles form – and could be worth a small play at big odds…

In the 3:45, I am again drawn to Vent Nivernais.
He has been declared to run a few times lately – but been pulled out on every occasion.
I thought he was eye catching on his UK debut over hurdles – but whether he’ll go on form that today, is anyones guess.
That said, he’s a 20/1 shot, so you won’t lose much finding out…

Finally, there is quite an interesting bumper to close the card.
You can all but guarantee that the Henderson and Ferguson runners will dominate the betting – whether they deserve to or not.
In the circumstances, there might be a bit of value to be had about Cochinillo, who has at least shown himself not completely devoid of ability.


Finally, things don’t improve massively at Ffos Las…

There are 2 races of interest, the first of them, the novice handicap chase at 2:25.
You may want to wait for market support, but if it comes, I’d be inclined to take the hint and get behind the Garvan Donnelly trained Macetown Gale.
A PTP winner, she is being sent over to the UK to make her chasing debut – which strikes me as significant (particularly as she is from a small yard).

The other race of interest is the handicap chase at 3:00.
However, I’ll be a little surprised if the winner comes from outside the top 2 in the betting.
I can see the angle for Cadeau George, but I think that Foxbridge did tremendously well to win a tough race last time and simply, I think he is the better horse.
Ofcourse that might not matter if todays race turns into a case of survival of the fittest – but assuming it is actually a race, then I would expect him to come home first.


Best of luck, if you do chose to get involved today.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment