Sunday 8 February 2015

Daily write-up - Feb 5th

NH racing is back this afternoon, with the meetings at Taunton and Huntingdon both surviving early morning inspections.

In truth, the Taunton meeting has little to recommend it:

The Game is a Foot is of some interest in the opener. However I’m unlikely to ever tip in a 15 runner conditional jockeys handicap hurdle ! (far too much uncertainty).

The best bet on the card is probably Moonlight Maggie in the handicap chase at 4:20.
She has a fair chance on the book – but what really attracts me to her, is the fact that Paddy Brennan has chosen to go to Taunton purely to ride her, thereby passing up decent options at Huntingdon.
At a different time of the year, she could well have been a Top Pick.

The meeting at Huntingdon is better:

In the opener on the card, I might have been tempted to take a chance on Imperial Vic – if the price were a little bigger.
Just over a year ago, he was running off a mark of 137 over fences – today he runs off a mark of 110 over hurdles.
He showed a bit of promise for new connections last time out and if he can build on that, he should run well this afternoon.

Forthefunofit, is clearly the one to beat in the handicap hurdle at 2:25 – but is priced accordingly…
Again, at a different time of year – or if Jonjo was in better form – I might be tempted but not as things stand.
Harristown looks quite interesting as an alternative, at a price (12/1).

I would be most interested in Catching On in the 3:00 race.
He caught my eye on his penultimate run (before falling) – and ran OK last time out as well.
However, I’ve got a slight concern about the trip for him – plus there are 3 or 4 in the race who I would be fearful of.
There’s not quite enough in his price (7/1) to get involved in the circumstances.

Finally, I briefly considered taking a risk at a big price on Vent Nivernais in the handicap chase at 4:10.
However, with just one run over hurdles in this country, it would be pure speculation on my behalf.
That said, he’s not got a lot to beat – and I certainly would get interested in him if money were to arrive.
If not, I’d probably play it safe and go with Free World…

Here’s hoping you have a good day if you do choose to get involved.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment