Sunday 22 February 2015

Review of the day

On balance, I think today has to be considered a good day…

A little bit like Wednesday, I didn’t get everything right – but I got enough right to generate a profit – and that’s what matters most…

That came courtesy of Rocky Creek who absolutely bolted up in the Betbright chase at Kempton.
You really won’t see many easier winner of a big handicap chase all season – and if Paul Nichols reckons he will be an even better horse on Grand National day, then the others better look out.

I said this morning that I thought he was a border line Gold Cup horse and he certainly looked one today.
If only they could all win like that !

Earlier in the afternoon, Woodford County had run an absolute screamer in the Eider.
Up with the pace throughout, I thought he had a big chance turning in.
However, he couldn’t go with the winner – and ultimately lost out on second place as well.

It was still a massive run from the horse – and one that must give his connections great hopes for the future…

Unfortunately, the days other two tips didn’t perform quite so creditably…

Citizenship ran poorly in the opening race at Kempton, which was disappointing.
I think I read the race pretty well – apart from the final piece of the puzzle.

I knew that Comeonginger set the standard – I just thought it was surpasssable.
Well, it wasn’t !

He led from flag fall – and never looked in much danger.
I’ve no regrets about having a go at the race – just maybe about not tipping the obvious one in it !

Madness Light was also disappointing at Chepstow – and I can’t really offer an explanation for that.
Maybe the horse has some kind of physical problem - I don’t honestly know…

All the way up the straight, it looked as if my other fancy for the race, Katkeau, was going to make me pay for not putting him up as a saver.
However, he was run out of things close home, by his stablemate.

People who think racing is bent, really should study that race.
Victory for Virteul D’Oudon almost certainly robbed Katkeau of the opportunity to run at Cheltenham.
I wonder if David Pipe is now regretting running them both in todays race…

As for the mentions – then we dodged a few short priced bullets there!!

Winged Crusader was tailed off at Chepstow (though in fairness, Hada Men did finish a close second): whilst the two JP McManus horses, Auvergnat and Tri Na Ciele, were both hugely disappointing after being very well backed, from what looked like short enough prices in the first place !
I guess it proves that they don’t all win !!

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment