Saturday 28 February 2015

Review of the day

Just the other day, I was thinking – and in fact, saying – how this season, we’ve managed to generally steer clear of bad luck.
Well, I should have known not to tempt fate !!

I guess we did end up with a winner on the day, so maybe I shouldn’t complain to much – but I have a feeling that with a bit of luck, we could have got 3…

First to run, was Gradbtheglory.
Very well backed this morning, I was reassured to see that his price didn’t drift, close to the off.
And he was still travelling very nicely behind the leaders, when he appeared to go wrong after jumping the final fence on the back straight.
I guess a recurrence of a physical issue is always a possibility for a horse such as him – and hopefully he will be alright.
But
I suspect it was an opportunity lost for us…

Next it was Manbalandall – and he really was a sickener !
Rarely will you see a horse travel so well through a race – and not win.
The problem was, he was going so strongly, his jockey had little alternative other than to let him take up the running, after jumping the third last.
He probably should have pressed on at that point – but he didn’t – and instead became a sitting duck for the horses behind.
And unfortunately one of them was up to chasing him down – and passing him on the run in.
He traded at 1.07 in-running – which I think is the lowest we’ve achieved this season.
A bit of a blow !

I did think briefly that it was going to be a case of déjà vu, with the last tip on the day, Tiptoeway.
Again, he cruised through the race and was at least 3 lengths clear jumping the third last.
However, he had travelled quite freely in his first time blinkers and I was fearful that he might not last home.
Fortunately this time, that wasn’t the case – and he had sufficient in reserve to repel the late challenge of Categorical.

Phew ! – I think that one winner on the day, was the very least we deserved.


With regard to the mentions, then all 3 ran well, without managing to win…

In the opener at Doncaster, Norse Light looked likely to play a hand in the finish - but then didn’t quite get home.
Maybe yesterdays exertions took their toll.

Davy didn’t turn to ride Pamanco, which I took as a negative sign.
However when the horse kicked clear early in the straight, I thought he’d maybe made an error of judgment !
However, that would be rare for Davy – and sure enough Pamanco tied late on and ultimately finished out of the frame.
Davy knew (probably !)

Finally, Royal Vacation ran really well at Newbury – but bumped into one.
And I honestly think he really bumped into one.
Put the name Minella Rocco in your notebooks – I suspect you’ll be hearing an awful lot more of him in the next few seasons…


Just a reminder, that as it’s a Friday, I will open the tipping window at 6:00 this evening, in case there is anything can tip in tomorrows televised races.

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment