Sunday 15 February 2015

Review of the day

It was a case of what might have been today, as the high-risk approach that I’ve been using over the past couple of months, fired blanks…

In fairness, that’s always a possibility when you are selecting horses at big prices – and a couple of them ran pretty well – but in truth, we never looked that likely to collect on the day.

First up was Key to the West, and he ran very disappointingly.
Maybe he didn’t appreciate the rain softened ground – but whatever the reason, he was never really at the races.
In truth even if he’d been on his ‘A’ game, I doubt he would have got close to a rejuvenated Opening Batsman, who won as he pleased.

Next it was Snooze – and if we had a hard luck story today, it was probably him.
He was in third pace and trying to challenge, when he got the second last fence wrong and decanted his jockey.
In truth, I don’t think he would have over-hauled the winner – but he would probably have placed (in fact he was the third horse to cross the line – just with no one on top !).

Mountainous also ran pretty well at Haydock, looking to have every chance rounding the home turn, before weakening up the home straight.
I did think that Sods Law was going to kick in, when Harry the Viking took up the running after the last – but thankfully Lie Forrit managed to snatch victory from him in the shadows of the post.

The final tip to run was Theatre Guide, and he unexpectedly made the running under Aidan Coleman.
Maybe his first time cheek pieces lit him up, but I would have prepared to see him settled in.
It’s difficult to know whether he did too much in front or whether he was simply not good enough.
Either way, he was unable to take advantage of the fall of favourite Ptit Zig and he finished well beaten.

In terms of the ones that got away, then the most obvious one was Carole’s Destrier.
I did make him a Top Pick – but I probably should have tipped him as well.
He was a 5/2 shot this morning and I could have got us on him at that price.
Instead I dithered, hoping he might drift.
Well, he didn’t, he shortened up to 5/4 instead !

In truth I don’t think I would have made him a Top Pick if I’d known he was going to start at that price – however, as is often the case, strong market support didn’t stop him from winning..!

The other one that I should have put up was Thistlecrack.
He was 7/1 this morning – but involved a lot of guess work.
Well, I had guessed things right and he got backed into 7/2 at the off before coming with a storming run under Ruby to get up close home.

He was the only wining mention on the day, though Algernon Pazham, Cold March and Thunder Zone all managed honourable seconds…

On to tomorrow then…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment