Monday 22 December 2014

Review of the day

Well, he’s never let us down before – and he clearly was in no mood to start doing so today…

Dickie really is the man Hot smile

To be honest, I found the whole thing quite baffling.
As I said this morning, I couldn’t understand how Trickaway was a 7/2 shot – and despite tipping him early – and to a relatively big stake, it made no difference to his price.

Maybe people had got it into their heads that because the horse has a slightly odd head carriage he’s ungenuine – well he doesn’t look ungenuine to me !

A little green perhaps – I suspect there is a fair bit more improvement in him – but he’s already demonstrated quite a high level of ability.

My biggest fear was always going to be his jumping – but it was his rivals who were poor in that department – though to be honest, I think he would have beaten them just as comfortably, if they had jumped well.

If only it were always so simple !

There were also some interesting goings on with the days mentions…

Hand on heart, I should have tipped Broadway Symphony this morning.
The trouble is, it’s never going to be easy tipping a horse at 11/2, when you‘ve seen him at 14/1.
I was also a little fearful of Premier Portrait in the first time blinkers – so it would have been a real sickener to see him power away from Broadway Symphony after the last.
Maybe we got lucky – I just need to consider what I should actually have done in that situation.

Later on the Towcester card, Newton Thistle ran away with the handicap chase in a way that you don’t often see…
I didn’t think there was a lot of value in the early 3/1 – but 13/8 at the off, told me connections meant business.
And the horse was never out of second gear in recording a facile 54 length victory.
I will genuinely be intrigued to see how the handicapper reacts to it.
I honestly think he could get a 2 stone rise in the weights for todays romp – which is virtually unheard of.
I’m sure connections will be delighted with the win – but I couldn’t help feeling that maybe jockey David Bass should have eased off a but up the home straight.
They could have run up a sequence with the horse – but that won’t be anywhere near as easy, now…

At Exeter, Pull the Chord was very disappointing the handicap hurdle – as was Alder Mairi in the novice handicap chase.
I don’t think either ran close to the level they are capable of.

Whilst in the finale, Midnight Request ran OK without ever threatening.
He didn’t really look like a winner waiting to happen.

So, 5 winners from the last 7 tips – not too bad really.
As I said to one of you guys last night, a week can be a long time in racing – it’s always important not to lose the faith when things aren’t going brilliantly – they can turn very quickly indeed !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment