Sunday 7 December 2014

Review of the day

I was under no illusions that today was going to be tough…

A combination of ultra competitive racing and uncertain ground, meant there were never going be any ‘gimmes’.

In the circumstances, I have little issue with us coming out of the day virtually level.

That we achieved that, was down to Bincombe who tenaciously wore down long time leader, Dineur, in the shadows on the post, at Aintree.
Clearly the best horse in the race, Bincombe nearly threw it away with a series of sloppy jump up the straight.
It says much for his courage, that he was able to run down a leader who wasn’t stopping – and who had pinged most of the fences….

One who didn’t ping any of the fences, was Quito Du Tresor.
I felt he was sure to be in the thick of things this afternoon, with everything in his favour.
But a mistake at the first – and a scruffy jump at the second, had him on the back foot.
In a race where the pace never relented, he didn’t ever get the opportunity to be competitive.
I think the run can be forgotten – though supporting him next time on the back of it, might be a bit tricky…

With regard to the days other 3 tips: then all 3 ran well – but just weren’t quite good enough.

In a way, I found that disappointing.
Obviously you can take positives out of your selections finishing close up – but I honestly thought that if any of the 3 were within striking distance over the last, they would win.

First up it was Sainte Are – and there really were no excuses for him.
I believed he was handicapped to win the race – but he found 2 better on the day.
My concern was with regard to him getting round safely – but that wasn’t an issue he was just beaten by better horses.

It was a similar story with Hinterland.
There was a danger he wouldn’t settle – but he did; there was also a danger that he might bleed – but presumably he didn’t.
I guess there was a danger that either God’s Own or Balder Succes would just be too good for him – but he beat of them.
A third place behind Dodging Bullets and Somersby, is not what I would have envisaged.

Finally, Rebel Rebellion also ran a decent race to finish fifth – but he too never looked particularly likely to better than position.
I thought he would be tuned to the minute – and take the world of beating, if he got round OK.
But instead he just ran a fair race…

Ah well – I guess I can’t get everything right !
With regard to the mentions, then one thing I did get right, was swerving Doing Fine and Awaywiththegreys.
I could easily have put us on both of them – but the forecast ground put me off – and it did indeed look quicker than I would have expected.
A couple of bullets dodged there, then…

Tap Night was another one, where I read the subtle signs correctly – and whilst Medermitt finished second in the conditions chase - that was the best he was ever going to achieve.

Dunraven Storm ran well enough at Sandown – though Vibrato Valtat left him for dead after the last; whilst Kasbadal just ran poorly in the concluding event on the card.

All in all, I think it was a day where a low key approach paid dividends.

On to tomorrow then…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment