Sunday 7 December 2014

Daily write-up - Dec 7th

They race today at Huntingdon and Kelso in the UK – and Punchestown and Cork in Ireland…

There was a sad postscript to the racing yesterday, when it was announced that both Oscar Whisky and Balbriggen had suffered fatal injuries during their respective races…
Now I know they are only animals – and I’m really not one for sentimentality – but they are animals that I (we) grow extremely fond of, over the years…

I’ve literally been watching Oscar Whiskey perform for 5 years - I felt like I knew the horse inside out.
It’s bad enough when any horse is killed in a race – but when it’s one that you been studying – and writing about - it’s quite tough to take.

12 months ago to the day after Plein Pouvior was killed, a stark reminder that these horses – and jockeys – literally put their lives on the line for our entertainment, on a daily basis…

So far as today is concerned, then all 4 meetings have merit – and decent races, where I would ordinarily have expected to find a tip or two.

I studied about half a dozen races closely – but simply came to the conclusion that the right horses were at the head of the betting.

Now obviously that doesn’t mean the favourites won’t win – far form it – but it does mean that there is very little in the way of ‘value’ on offer.

If you like to back winners – and aren’t too bothered about the prices, then I suspect one or two of todays mentions will be worth following.

Here are my thoughts…


Huntingdon

The big race of the day in the UK, is the Grade 2 Peterborough chase.
Formerly run on a Thursday, it was tried on a Saturday for a few years – but I quite like the idea of moving it to a Sunday…

The betting suggests it should be a 4 horse race – with French Opera maybe having half a chance as well – and I would agree with that.
All things being equal, I would make Wishfull Thinking the most likely victor – but there is a danger that all things won’t be equal…
Non of the 6 runners are renowned for making the running (or even racing that prominently) – we could therefore be looking at a falsely run race.
Alternatively, one of the jockeys might grab the initiative and steal the race.
In short, it could turn into a lottery…
In the circumstances, I feel it is a race best watched…

The other race that particularly interests me, is the novice handicap chase that closes the card.
We were on Ballybough Andy last time out, when he made his handicap debut over hurdles at Exeter.
He ran a reasonable rave that day to finish fourth – and has been dropped 3lb for the run.
He’s a big horse, so I would foresee no issues with him tackling fences.
I think he sets a decent standard – but we couldn’t have beaten 13/2 this morning – and with so much guesswork involved with regards to the rest of the field, I would struggle to tip him at that price…


Kelso


There are 3 chases of interest on the Kelso card.

The first of them is the novice chase, due off at 12:50.
I was initially very tempted by Oscar Rock – even at 11/4. However, on closer examination, this really does look like a strong contest…
I would be inclined to take on the favourite, I Need Gold, but primarily because the stable of Donald McCain is really struggling for form.
However, even if we get him beaten, Wakanda and Man with Van are both decent enough sorts.
I would hope that Oscar Rock would have too much class for them – but first time over fences, I couldn’t be completely sure.
Like I say, tempting – but enough doubts to stop me putting him up.

David Pipe is the man to look out for in the other two chases on the card…

In the 1:50 race, he saddles the novice, Virtual D’Oudon.
He ran second on his chasing debut at Exeter, last month, in what is turning out to be a very hot event.
His handicap mark has remained unchanged - and he gets blinkers applied for the first time today.
I guess I’ve got 2 potential issues with him. Firstly the application of blinkers to a horse being asked to go 4 miles for the first time, is slightly risky (in case they light him up). Secondly, Union Jack D’Ycy and Sun Cloud are serious rivals - and half cases can be made for 2 or 3 others.
Ultimately it all comes down to price – and I would have taken a risk at 5/1.
At 4/1, however, I have to pass…

In the following race, Pipe saddles top weight, Shotovodka – and it’s a similar story…
He’s priced up at 9/2, in a race where I would fear Glenquest – and could give 3 or 4 others, fair chances…
The race is run in honour of Always Right – so you would think he would be primed for the day ! Whilst Harry the Viking is handicapped to win – though I didn’t see quite enough promise in his latest run.
One who could drift to an acceptable price, is Aachen.
He has no great record fresh, which is presumably what is putting people off.
However, he is trained by Venetia and handicapped to go close.
At 14/1, he would be very tempting…


Punchestown


The grade 1 John Duran memorial chase is the high light of the Punchestown card and it looks a match between Boston Bob and Don Cossack.
Of the two, I would prefer Don Cossack – but I don’t feel particularly strongly about it.
If there is to be an upset, then Texas Jack looks the one most likely to cause it – but I do expect the race to go to one of the market leaders.

He might not quite be up to winning, but I would expect Sumos Novios to run a huge race in the novice chase at 2:30…
He ran very well last time out, when finishing fourth to Valseur Lido. That was on the back of an 18 moth absence and I would expect him to strip fitter for that run.
Un Atour and Mala Beach dominate the betting – but neither one is bomb proof.
Certainly a back to lay in running on Sumos Novios should give you some enjoyment in the race, with the chance of a risk free return.

I was quite tempted to get involved in the handicap chase at 3:00 – but can’t quite figure out which way to play it…
On one hand, I think even with top weight, Foxrock could outclass the field. 11/2 isn’t too bad a price either…
However, I also like the chances of Snooze - at least to be placed.
That said, Grand Jesture, Daring Article and Call Rog could all be given a chance – and there are a couple of potential dark ones in the race as well.
On balance, I figured it was probably just a bit too tricky and so decided just to watch, instead !



Here’s hoping things go well, if you do decide to get involved today.

TVB.





Tips
 
Early
 
None
 
Late
 
None
 
Mentions
 
Huntingdon 2:05 Wishfull Thinking (C )
Huntingdon 3:35 Ballybough Andy (O )
Kelso 12:50 Oscar Rock (O )
Kelso 1:50 Virtuel D’Oudon (P )
Kelso 2:20 Shotovodka (P )
Punchestown 2:30 Sumos Novios (S )
Punchestown 3:00 Foxrock (O )
Punchestown 3:00 Snooze (O )
 
Top Picks
 

None

No comments:

Post a Comment