Monday 22 December 2014

Review of the day

A very interesting day – but a bit of a frustrating one as well !

For the quality of the write-up – we should have made much more than 4 pts – but despite getting the hard part right (ie finding the horses), I got some of the other parts wrong – and ultimately, that cost us…

In terms of the details, then Gevrey Chambertin was a very game winner of the novice handicap chase at Newbury.
He is clearly turning into a bit of a rogue – but he’s a talented rogue !
The blinkers worked the oracle on him today – and he was just a bit too good for Kaki De Le Pree (who was unlucky to bump into him on a going day).
The other tip in the race, Chase the Spud, also ran with credit - but just didn’t get home on the rain softened ground.

Over at Ludlow, Gardefort had no issue with the rain softened ground – in fact he appeared to love it !
Someone clearly knew that he was much better than his handicap mark and he was backed as if defeat was out of the question.
As I said this morning, if Oyster Shell played up (which he did) then he really one had Arkaim and Sir Valentino to beat.
That was exactly how it panned out – and Gardefort was much too good for them.
Of all this mornings tips, he was the one who I got closest to staking at 0.5pt  - needless to say, I slightly regretted my decision not to.

I also regretted my decision not to tip Royal Player in the handicap chase at Ludlow, in addition to Grove Pride.
I’d picked him out as the main danger – but unlike with Chase the Spud, I chose not to act.
It was therefore no surprise to see Sods Law kick in, with Royal Player getting the better of Gorsky Island.
Grove Pride ran an absolute stormer out in front and I’ve little doubt that it was the overnight rain which cost him the chance of wining.
Today should have been his day – but the elements decided otherwise.

With regard to the mentions, then Toowoomba couldn’t get close to It’s a Steal at Ludlow. I hate to think what the handicapper will do to the latter, after todays romp.

Meanwhile, one call I did get right, was to duck Greenlaw.
I suspect that having to battle for the lead didn’t do him any favours – but he was quite disappointing, regardless.

Finally, Amour D’or ran out a comfortable winner at Newbury. Unfortunately, as I said this morning, she wasn’t one I could really tip – which was a bit of a shame !

Still, at the end of the day, I guess a profit is a profit – and we made a profit !
I just hope that maybe one or two of you used your judgement (either in the form of greater stakes, covering bets – or even doubles !) to improve the official figure a bit and cover for my short comings in those particular areas !

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment