Monday 29 December 2014

Review of the day

Well, I’m sure I’ve had better days than today – but, for the life of me, I can’t remember when !

I tipped 6 horses in 5 races – and ended up with 3 winners, 2 seconds and a third.
What’s more, the two seconds could easily have won their respective races: whilst the third touched even money in-running !

And even more than that, I was struggling so much for time this morning, I wasn’t even able to mention Ballinvarrig. If I could have got an accurate going report for Kempton, we would have been on him at 7/1 !

Still, I’m not complaining – it would take a lot to spoil a day which really can only be described as ‘sensational’…

First up, it was Twinlight, who defied insulting odds to record a comfortable victory in the dial-a-bet chase.
As I said this morning, the key to him was his jumping – and under a great ride from Paul Townend, he barely touched a twig.
Tremendous stuff !

Next up it was Awaywiththegreys.
If you watched his last run at Chepstow, you wouldn’t believe it was the same horse.
Even when he was passed, following a mistake at the third last, I never gave up hope.
Handsupfordetroit is a bridle horse: Awaywiththegreys is a battler.
In the Chepstow mud, you want a battler on your side.

The start of the Wetherby race and the Welsh National clashed – but the race was over at Wetherby first, and it made for painful viewing…

Firstly De Boitron looked likely to win – before weakening out of things: then French Opera looked like getting up – but he had been given too much to do.

The winner, Upsilon Bleu, is an enigmatic sort – but he was clearly on a going day today – more’s the pity !

Meanwhile, it looked like Emperors Choice was in for another near miss at Chepstow – but like Awaywiththegreys, he’s a battler…

He led to the third last, by which point, he had most of the field in trouble – but a sloppy jump there seemed to have sealed his fate.
I was just hoping that Aidan could keep him going, because I knew he stayed much better than the two in front of him.
And Aidan did – and jumping the last it was clear he had a chance…

The last furlong took an age to complete – but that was always going to be in the Emperors favour.
He got up right on the line – but no-one can say he (and indeed we) didn’t deserve it.

It was an amazing victory – one I somehow doubt will be surpassed this season.

Finally, Foxrock tried to put the icing on the cake in Paddy Power chase.
His jumping was sloppy – but it looked like his engine was going to get him home when he took up the running approaching the last.
Unfortunately, it was not to be – and Living Next Door pounced up the run in…

Still, even that couldn’t spoil what was an absolutely brilliant day.

I could be tipping for a long time before I manage to match it – I just hope a few of you managed to make it pay appropriately…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment