Sunday 25 January 2015

Review of the day

It’s funny how we all have our favourite trainers: ones that we trust to do their best (for us !).

At the highest level, I trust Philip Hobbs (and Dickie !) – but further down the chain, Alex Dunne is just about my favourite girl !

Obviously she did us proud on a couple of occasions last season, with Come on Annie – but it’s not just because of that...

I feel she’s a trainer I can read.
I fancied Zero Visibility last time out: it ran poorly and she took action that made perfect sense to me (giving the horse a long break).

I therefore had confidence that it would be able to show it’s best today.
Even if it had run poorly, I would have taken it at face value.
I have that kind of trust in her.

But it didn’t, it ran really well.
Taking a tug throughout, it soon had most of it’s rivals in trouble – and pretty much had the race won turning in.

Again, it was possibly helped by a last fence fall from its nearest rival – though in truth, he looked to be fighting a losing battle at the time.

Good old Alex – Good old Zero Visibility Smile

It was a day when falls played quite a significant roll for TVB followers…

The first tip of the day to run, Vice et Vertu, took a tumble down the back straight at Warwick.
He was still in contention at the time – but I don’t honestly think it made any difference to the result.
He had run a weird race: too keen one minute, then under pressure the next.
I would have been amazed if he’d been able to finish any better than a distant third.

We also had a faller in the big race of the day, The Thystes Chase at Gowran.
This time is was The Job is Right, who unshipped his jockey at the final fence.
He was in second place at the time – and had run a massive race.
However, he simply wasn’t in the same league as the winner, Djakadam.
He won doing handsprings and looks a potential Gold Cup contender, on the strength on todays run.

In the same race, Goonyella ran an honourable third.
Grabbing that position on the run in, having never been close enough to challenge.
Todays run is probably as good as he is (which is pretty good – but not graded class).

The only mention of the day, Briar Hill, ran a lifeless race earlier on the Gowran card.
I doubt he’ll be lining up in the Stayers hurdle.

Whilst over at Warwick, I managed to get the first 3 home in the staying chase.
The tricast payed just over £40 – which, considering it looked pretty obvious, did make me think..!!

On to tomorrow then…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment