Sunday 25 January 2015

Daily write-up - Jan 23rd

There will be no tips today…

I did consider tipping Farasi Kubwa in the 3:20 at Doncaster – but I’ve decided against it.
In truth, he would be a very risky tip (he’s only run 4 times in his life – and never over fences) – and isn’t a massive price (7/1 best), but that’s not what’s putting me off him.
What I don’t like, is the support for the Mick Easterby trained top weight, Rear Admiral.
We got on the wrong side of an Easterby plunge horse in the shape of Saints and Sinners, earlier in the season (we were on Rhapando) – and I could easily see a similar scenario unfolding today.
That said, if Rear Admiral drifts near to the off, I would be very tempted by Farasi Kubwa.
He looks every inch a chase to me – and he’s the only horse Venetia sends to Doncaster (and Aidan Coleman had chosen to ride him ahead of two Venetia runners at Huntingdon).
In short, I think he would have a very good chance with Rear Admiral out of the way – however, he is currently in the way, so it’s a no bet race…

Earlier on the card, I expected to be interested in Champagne Rian in the 2:15 race.
He is getting himself very well handicapped – and the first time application of both a tongue tie and blinkers, really catches the eye.
However, Rebecca Curtis has two runners in the race – and the booking of Barry Gerraghty for Red Devils Lad strongly suggests he is the stable number 1.
Also, Champagne Rians latest runs have been very poor - so backing him would be a bit of an act of faith.
On balance then, another viewing race…

There is very little of interest on the Ayr card – though the presence of Davy Russell does catch the eye.
I’ve mentioned before about how shrewd Davy is, so expect him to pick up at least one winner from his two mounts.
In all probability, it will be Fine Rightly in the 3 horse race at 3:25 – though I actually thought his other mount on the day, was just as interesting…

That’s Royal Sea Breeze, in the opener, for Stuart Crawford.
He’s shown nothing over hurdles – but has run well in PTPs in the past and gets in today for his chasing debut, off a tempting mark of 93.
He also gets a tongue tie and a visor – and I did think he might be backed.
However, that’s not happened – in fact, he has drifted to 12/1 (bigger on BF).
If money comes for him close to the off, I would suggest you take notice…

Finally, Present Lodger looks interesting in the handicap chase at 2:20, for Lucinda Russell.
He’s been given a real chance by the handicapper after a couple of disappointing urn over fences – but I suspect it is much too soon to be writing him off.
I make him the most likely winner of the race, which makes 7/2 a fair enough price. However, it’s difficult to get a proper handle on most of his opponents, so he was never really a candidate for a tip.

Just a reminder, that as it’s a Friday, I will open the tipping window at 6:00 this evening, in case there is anything suitable for early tipping, in any of tomorrows big races.

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment