Sunday 25 January 2015

Review of the day

Rarely can the ups and downs of jump racing have been more beautifully illustrated…

At 3:05 this afternoon, Wayne Hutchinson forced Ordo ab Chao home in the novice hurdle at Cheltenham, for a tremendous victory.

That seems to set us up perfectly for the big bet of the day in the 3:15 at Doncaster – and what happens ?
Yes Tom unships his jockey at the second fence.

You couldn’t make it up !

It’s that kind of drama which brings us back week after week – an emotional roller coaster !

And I have to say, I was so disappointed about Yes Tom.
To say I fancied him massively, is an understatement. I was absolutely sure he would run a huge race.
I guess we’ll never know – tho it was interesting to note that he managed to finish third without his jockey. I’m sure a bit of assistance from the saddle he could have gone two places better !

There’s not a lot I can say about Ordo ab Chao.
I felt the favourite was under-priced – and that he should be taken on, and I was right.
I also felt it worth forgiving Ordo ab Chaos his last run at Sandown (bearing in mind his price) – and again I was right.
In this instance, two rights made a winner – and very nice it was as well !

The only other tip on the day, was Astigos – and he ran a massive race earlier on the Cheltenham card.
Settled out the back, he struggled to go with the leaders when they quickened down the hill and ultimately that probably cost him.
Generous Ransom was 4 lengths clear jumping the last and although he fluffed that a bit – and ran about on the run in, Astigos never really looked like getting to him.
It was still a highly commendable effort.

The mentions only managed one winner – but it really should have been three…
The one they got, was courtesy of Intense Tango, who was an impressive winner at Doncaster.
I did toy with tipping her this morning, but the price wasn’t great, considering it was tricky to get a handle on all her rivals.
The two that got away, were Runswick Royal at Doncaster and Dell Arca at Cheltenham.
The former suffered an ill judged waiting ride from Brian Hughes; whilst the latter got ambushed late on by Lightentertainment (which was a tough one, for me personally!).

Tap Night ran a bizarre race to finish third at Cheltenham.
He looked like being tailed off at one point – but then finished like a train.
I think the word is ‘enigmatic’…
Goohar ran very disappointingly in the opener at Doncaster: and whilst The Giant Bolster was well beaten in the big race at Cheltenham, the way it panned out wouldn’t have suited him…

With regard to Cheltenham and the ‘trials’ then for what it is worth: I was massively impressed by Peace and Co (again) – it will take an exceptional one to beat him in the Triumph; I was also very impressed by Many Clouds (he is a genuine Gold Cup contender, in an open year); Saphir du Rheu wasn’t quite so impressive – but again, I think he would have a definite chance in a potentially open looking stayers hurdle…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment