Sunday 18 January 2015

Review of the day

We managed to get on the wrong side of one of those fine lines, this afternoon…

Early this morning, it was my intention to tip Kingcora – but on closer inspection of the race, I talked myself out of it; instead, I opted to tip Ultragold, in the hope that he would confirm his debut form.

Needless to say that change of mind provided sods law with an opening which it gleeful snaffled !
And whilst Ultragold struggled in the rain softened ground at Wincanton, Kingcora got the better of a battle with Canuspotit at Market Rasen.

With the benefit of hindsight, I should have put up both, or neither.
I knew the margins were relatively small with all of todays possible tips – it was inevitable that if I opted for just one, it would be the wrong one !

Ah well, these things happen…

Returning to the Ultragold race then he looked to be going as well as anything turning in, but the combination of the heavy ground and a strong wind, seemed to catch him out and he didn’t get home.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a tongue tie re-applied next time – but my suspicion is that he is a horse best caught fresh…

There was also no joy with the days Top Pick, Horendus Hulabaloo at Thurles...
He was strong in the market, which I saw as a positive – but in the race itself, he hadn’t got the tactical pace to go with the leaders when they quickened after the third last.
He did stay on well from the final flight – but never looked like reeling in the winner.
I knew there was a chance that he might need more of a test of stamina – I just thought he would get away with it against seemingly limited opposition…

As for the days other mentions, then Geton Xmoor never featured in the opener at Wincanton.
The race was won by Private Malone – one of the two who I thought would fight out the finish. His SP was 5/1, which was a bit surprising, considering he was a 7/2 shot this morning…
Also at Wincanton, Handy Andy ran well enough in the Devon marathon, but looked like a horse in need of a break: whilst Judge Davis appeared not to handle the very soft ground and was pulled up.

At Ludlow, Roll the Dice was unable to dominate and ran a slightly disappointing race to finish third.
I suspect he could probably do with a break.
Lily Waugh ran much better to finish runner up to Midnight Belle. She should be capable of winning a mares chase, based on this evidence.

Finally, back at Thurles, Don Cossack won the Kinloch Brae, following the last fence fall of Champagne Fever.
I suspect he would have probably won regardless – though it certainly would have been close between the two.
The winner must now have a very good chance of lifting the Ryanair chase for his owner, Ryanair supremo, Michael O’Leary…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment