Sunday 25 January 2015

Daily write-up - Jan 25th

The abandonment of Fontwell a few days ago, means that the only racing today, is at Leopardstown and Sedgefield…

That said, the Leopardstown racing is absolutely top class – with two grade 1 events; a grade 2; a couple of decent handicaps; and a couple of decent novice events.
You couldn’t ask a lot more from a card !

Sedgefield on the other hand, is decidedly mundane, with just the one race of any interest…

I hoped to put up 2 or 3 tips – but the market isn’t playing ball and I’m not prepared to go chasing prices – so we’ve ended up with just the one.

I probably fancy it a bit more than the staking implies – but I don’t like to go in heavy on the Irish handicaps.
If it wins, I’ll happily take a couple of points profit on the day.

Here’s the rationale – and a some thoughts on a few of the days other races…


Leopardstown

2:25

We were on Third Opinion last time out, when he ran in an amateur riders event at the Leopardstown Christmas meeting…
He was a speculative pick at a relatively big price that day – but he ran a race chock full of promise.
Over a trip of 2m5f, he absolutely tanked his way through the race, with his young jockey appearing to struggle to keep a hold of him.
He moved like the best horse in the race – and jumped into the lead at the third last, but his early exertions then took a toll and he was beaten, entering the home straight.
My feeling at the time was that he either needed dropping back in trip – or a stronger jockey in the saddle: and today he gets both…
I can certainly see Andy Lynch clicking with the horse. He remains a jockey that I have a lot of time for (despite him recently losing the job of stable jockey to Henry de Bromhead).
He tends to excel on strong travelling animals – and in Third Opinion, I am hopeful he will be able to prove that point.
His opponents look much of a muchness – with the exception of Champagne James…
He looks like a potentially well handicapped horse: however he also looks like a horse who needs considerably further than todays 2m1f trip.
His jumping can be ponderous – and he has a tendency to get outpaced.
If he’s still in contention rounding the home turn, I will be concerned - but hopefully Third Opinion will have burnt him off by that point !

0.25pt win Third Opinion 9/1


The preceding race on the card is the Irish Arkle, and I can honestly say, I’ve never seen a more fascinating 3 horse contest !
For the first time in his life, Un De Sceaux should be really tested.
He’s won 10 of his 11 NH races – and fell when clear in the other.
He is probably an exceptional talent – but we can’t be absolutely sure of that.
Provided all 3 runners get round today, then we should find out just how good he is.
Gilgamboa and Clarcam are not slouches. In fact, both have the potential to be close to the best novice chasers around.
If Un De Sceaux puts them to the sword in the same way he has every other horse that has faced him, then I will be prepared to proclaim him as the real deal.
Truly a race to savour…

The other grade 1 on the card, is the Irish Champion hurdle (2:45)
Once again, it looks a match between Hurricane Fly and Jezki.
The Fly has come out on top in their 2 previous encounters this season, but Jezki is getting closer to him…
Again, I see it almost as a toss of the coin as to which one will come out on top today.
I would probably just favour the Fly – but when you are talking such small margins, a good jump or a smart piece of jockeyship is likely to make all the difference.
Whilst I do expect it to be a straight battle between the big two, I will also be fascinated to see how both Arctic Fire and Fiscal Focus get on.
The former seemed to raise his game dramatically last time out, when a close third behind Hurricane Fly and Jezki; whilst it is fascinating to see the latter contesting the race, as he is just a 4 year old…

In the handicap chase at 3:50, I had half a mind to tip More Madness.
He ran an absolute screamer in the Paddy Power chase at the Leopardstown Christmas meeting, just weakening out of things close home.
A drop back in trip of 3 furlongs will help him and I can see him running a huge race today
However, he faces a couple of opponents who could be exceptionally well handicapped, in the shape of Bishops Road and Heathfield.
By my reckoning the former could easily have a stone in hand of his mark – and it’s anyone’s guess with the latter (though he could easily be the same).
More Madness was 14/1 last night – and with a slight drift, I would have put him up EW (instead, he’s shortened to 10/1).
However, I would be fearful that we would only be playing for a place – and that generally isn’t my style.
It’s a shame, because against ‘normal’ opposition, I could be very keen on him…


Sedgefield


The only race of interest on the Sedgefield card, is the handicap chase at 3:35.
I was quite keen to take on favourite Big Water in this – and after lots of time looking at the race, narrowed it down to Grey Life and Distime.
I had a slight preference for Grey Life and he was a weak looking 7/1 shot early this morning.
However, BF suggested he should be at least 8/1 – and possibly even 9/1.
I decide to wait and see how things developed, but within 10 mins of me issuing the early tip, his price crashed to 5/1.
I don’t know whether it was tipster inspired money or connections inspired money – but it was quite a dramatic move.
If it is sustained to the off, I think he will take some beating.
If he drifts back out, I wouldn’t be so confident.
Either way, all we have on offer now is 5/1 – and that holds little appeal in an open race…


Here’s hoping for a great day ahead !

TVB.




Tips
 
Early
 
Leopardstown 2:10 Third Opinion 0.25pt win 9/1
 
Late
 
None
 
Mentions
 
Leopardstown 3:50 More Madness (O )
Sedgefield 3:35 Grey Life (O )
 
Top Picks
 
None
 

No comments:

Post a Comment