Monday 12 January 2015

Review of the day

I’m not sure I should really be feeling disappointed after bagging a couple of decent priced winners – but I do…

In truth, I suspect that it’s because the winners came after what felt like the hardest loser I’d taken all season: Grand Vision.

I was keen on him today – and staked him accordingly – so it was really painful to watch him gallop and jump his field into the ground (as I thought he might), only to tie up in the home straight…

I’m not sure how windy it was at Warwick, but he seemed to be struggling with something.
I’d think it was the horse, but the winner, Sego Success, also looked to struggle after he had gone past Grand Vision.

Whatever, I found it a really hard result to take – and whilst the 2 subsequent winners did help soften the blow, the fact remained, that we would have won more if he had got home in front, than we did from the victories of Ardkilly Witness and Hawkes Point.

Furthermore, as I put up 2 in both the Ardkilly Witness race and Hawkes Point race, their victories were only ever going to be half as enjoyable Winking smile

In fact, I didn’t get much pleasure at all from the win of Ardkilly Witness !
I was absolute convinced that his poor jumping had cost him his chance – so it says much for his courage, that he was able to wrestle back the lead when Masters Hill made a mistake at the last.
He also showed great tenacity to hang on – so whilst the margin of victory was ultimately tiny, the horse probably just about deserved to come home in front.

The victory of Hawkes Point was a little more comfortable.
My irritation with him was that I didn’t stake him a bit more aggressively. I knew he was better than a 0.25pt selection – but in such a competitive race – and with me wanting Peckhamecho on side as well, I didn’t feel I could increase the stake.
I guess the important thing is that he won – and he did so quite well, despite making a few mistakes along the way.

Peckhamecho also ran really well in the same race and I think it was his lack of stamina rather than poor jumping, which cost him his chance.
Over a shorter trip, I could see him landing a decent prize before the season is out.

As for the other two tips on the day:
Then Ballybough Pat ran a fair enough race without ever really looking likely to win.
My hopes were raised pre-race, when he was backed into 14/1 at the off – but ultimately he (and the rest of the field) proved no match to Tea for Two.
With hindsight, I should have had a saver on him !

The final tip to run was Whitby Jack.
Again, the pre-race market support gave me great hopes – but as soon as the flag went up and it was clear there was no pace in the race, I knew he was doomed…
He lobbed along in the lead for a while – but he really needs a pace to chase.
I suspect he will leave todays form behind the next time he runs.

The mentions prove to be a bit of a mixed bag:
Pencilhimin was a massive disappointment at Punchestown (a bullet dodged, I guess): whilst Vasco Du Mee was also a bit disappointing (despite finishing third).
Upepito was a gutsy winner at Warwick – but Big Hands Harry ran no sort of a race…

At the end of the day then, a reasonable profit – but the feeling that we could easily have had another day like the Christmas Saturday…
I guess the important thing is that I shows I’ve returned from my break in similar form – which has to be a good thing.

I’ve now issued just over 30 tips since Christmas and around half of them have finished first or second.
If I can maintain that level of tipping to the end of the season, I don’t suspect I’ll receive too many complaints !!

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment