Thursday 2 April 2015

Review of the day

There was no dream end to Grand National day for AP – or indeed TVB – though there was a dream end for one of our number !
More on that later though...

The big race was taken in some style by the Hennessy winner, Many Clouds.
I’ve got to be honest, I didn’t particularly fancy him.
I was disappointed with his run in the Gold Cup – but I guess that shows they are not machines…

Generally, I’ve been really surprised by how little impact Cheltenham seems to have had on the runners at Aintree.
For most that have performed at both meetings, it’s as if Cheltenham took nothing out of them.
I know there was a 4 week gap this season, but I still would have expect Cheltenham exertions to have pushed more of the runners over the top.

In terms of the official TVB tip, then Rocky Creek was disappointing.
Sam Twiston Davies kept him wide – but he never really seemed to be travelling and was under pressure some way out.
He did get round – but finished a long way back.
It wasn’t his form…

I know he was the only official tip of the day, but hopefully one or two of you were also on Monbeg Dude.
He ran an absolute screamer for an unconsidered 50/1 shot – and I can’t help but feel that with just a slightly more aggressive (less passive) ride, he would just about have won.

It was also great to see Saint Are run so well.
He’s been a real favourite this season – even if I’ve managed to dodge his best days !

There was no joy either with the days other 2 tips.

Trafic Fluide ran well in the novice chase - but I suspect the ground was just a bit too quick for him.
He will have other days (probably next season).

Bobowen jumped like a hairy goat in the handicap chase, never giving himself any chance of being involved at the finish.
The race was won by last seasons victor, Duke of Lucca.
He had shown very little this season – but still went off a well fancied 9/2 shot.

And so on to the most exciting part of the day !

As I mentioned this morning, one of the TVB subscribers, Stuart, owns a part share in Astre de Le Cour.
He’s experienced some real ups and downs with the horse – despite him only running 5 times previously in this country.

An early fall in last seasons Fred Winter looked like it might have been curtains – and things didn’t looks too rosy either, when he was pulled up in this seasons Gerry Fielden hurdle.

However, Robert Walford has nursed him back to fitness and he was a good winner at Stratford the Monday before Cheltenham.
That set him up for today – and I know that Stuart has been on tenter hooks about the race for weeks.

However, amazingly, everything came good this afternoon – and I couldn’t be happier for them.
Always handily placed, he just about took up the running coming to the last, and despite a shoddy jump there, battled back to take the spoils in the shadow of the post.

Truly brilliant stuff !

The days other mentions didn’t do quite so well – but he was the one that mattered !!

So that really is that for the 2014-15 season.

Aintree wasn’t brilliant – but it was better than Cheltenham, so that’s something !
More importantly the season as a whole was very good – and I’m sure that is what I will be judged on.

I’ve got plenty of things to consider over the next few months – but first I’m going to wind down a bit.
It’s been an incredibly tense journey – but hopefully you all consider it worthwhile.

This really is the last email you’ll receive from me this season – so all that is left is for me to thank you all for your support and wish you all a long, hot summer.

Until the autumn then 

TVB.


No comments:

Post a Comment